I attended a recruiter panel event yesterday and learned some interesting things about what they are looking for from job hunters. As we are all aware it’s tough out there and jobs are not flying at people like they seemed to in the past. You have to work at it. You have to market and sell yourself and your skills. You have to let the employer know why they should hire you over all the other applicants. It can seem like a daunting task but with some thought, organization, and preparation you can make it happen.
To summarize some of the main points I heard from the recruiters…
Top things hiring managers are looking for:
- Good, clear communication
- Good work ethic
- Interpersonal skills
- Good fit for the company culture
- Teamwork skills
- A desire to learn
Top things you should be doing:
- Tailor and organize your resume to put your best skill set forward.
- Research the company & job and be prepared.
- Practice, practice, practice (for the interview).
- Know who you are and be comfortable sharing that.