I spent a lot of my twenties taking fitness classes and training for marathons and half-marathons. Spending 60 minutes or more at the gym wasn’t a luxury it was the norm.
Like a lot of things in life my gym routine changed since having a baby and I’ve had to find little ways to fit in my fitness. I’ve found what works for me currently but have had adjust with each season of parenting (and will have to adjust a lot more I’m sure next year when baby # 2 arrives!)
For now though I will enjoy my time and try to take each stage as they come 🙂
If you struggle with finding ways to fit in fitness in a demanding season of life here are few ways that have been working for me:
- Break it up: – Try doing 10-20 segments throughout your day when you can. You will still receive amazing benefits by breaking up your workouts into manageable chunks when you can’t squeeze in a longer workout.
- Use your lunch break: Sneak in a quick walk, find some stairs or grab a yoga mat and do a quick office work out.
- Use the time you have: Get up a few minutes early if that’s your think, use nap time if you’re lucky enough to get one, or squeeze in a quick workout as soon as your kiddos go to bed (or even set up them up with some toys or work out along with you)
- Use at-home workouts: This has been the KEY for me these past two years. I don’t have time or the desire to head out to the gym but I CAN get an amazing workout at home in a short amount of time (no excuse, no time wasted getting to gym). I use Beachbody workouts and absolutely love them. I haven’t found anything that’s as challenging and effective for at home workouts (and I’ve tried A LOT of them).
- Above all else make it a routine/habit and be consistent: This one is key. The only workout routine that works is the one that you actually do! So you have to be consistent and do your workouts. Doing them sporadically is better than nothing but you’re not going to see results until you’re doing them (and eating healthy) consistently. That doesn’t mean you have to workout 7 days a week – find a schedule that you can commit to and stay consistent.
What about you? What are some ways that you find time to squeeze in being fit and healthy?